AUSTRALIA: More applicants eligible to apply online for Temporary Work visas
What is the change? Australia has expanded the list of foreign nationals eligible to submit online applications for Temporary Work visas to nearly 200 countries.
What does the change mean? Online visa applications are significantly faster and easier than paper applications.
- Implementation timeframe: 23 November.
- Visas/permits affected: Temporary Work (subclass 400) visas.
- Who is affected: Nationals on the expanded list will be eligible to apply online for Temporary Work visas.
- Impact on processing times: Those eligible to apply online will enjoy faster processing.
- Business impact: Online submission streamlines the application process for sponsoring employers as it eliminates the need to post or courier paper filings or to make in-person visits.
Background: Under amendments to Australia’s Migration Regulations 1994, nationals of 197 countries and territories will be eligible to apply online for Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) subclass 400 visas. The complete list can be viewed here.
The expansion of online application procedures is a welcome development. The ability to apply online significantly streamlines processing. Notably, China and India have not been included in the list of nationals eligible to apply online for Temporary Work visas.